Hey you lovely lot!
I hope you’re all keeping well! I have done a couple of food diaries on here to show you what type of food I eat whilst following the Slimming World food plan, but today I thought I would share a recipe that I made for Spaghetti Bolognese which is completely syn free, packed full of healthy veggies & oh so delicious! This recipe is super easy to follow and can easily be switched to a veggie meal by removing the beef mince and using vegetarian alternatives, such as Quorn. This recipe easily makes enough for 3-4 people depending on how many veggies that you add into it, we usually have a portion each for dinner and I take leftovers to work for lunch or we freeze some as well, but as I say it depends how many veggies you add in as to how many portions you get!
~ I N G R E D I E N T S ~
From start to finish this recipe takes around 45 mins-1 hour to make!
The ingredients you will need for this recipe are as follows;
500g 5% fat beef mince (or any other mince or vegetarian alternatives you wish to use)
1 red onion diced
1 pepper diced
1 handful of mushrooms sliced
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 beef stock cube (or any stock cube you wish to use)
1 tablespoon of Bovril (optional)
2 tablespoons of dried mixed herbs
1 table spoon of garlic granules
Plenty of salt and cracked black pepper
FryLight for your frying pan
And of course enough spaghetti for the portions you require, we use a spaghetti measure to measure our spaghetti out 🙂
~ M E T H O D ~
- First you will need to chop and prepare your vegetables that you are using for the recipe, I divide mine into separate bowls depending on when I am using them in the recipe so that I can get all of the chopping out of the way first then all I need to do is cook.
You will need your onion and garlic in a bowl together, then another bowl with your pepper and mushrooms in.
2. Once you have prepared your vegetables it’s time to start cooking, so you will need to grab your large frying pan and spray some of the FryLight in there, then pop it onto a medium to high heat and add in the onion and the garlic. Make sure your pan isn’t too hot as the garlic will burn, all you’re wanting to do here is fry off the onion until it softens a little and goes slightly translucent.
3. You then need to pop in your beef mince (or your alternative) into the pan and start to brown the mince a little. Once the meat is nicely browned off you can now add in your peppers and mushrooms and fry those until the peppers start to soften a little and the mushrooms gain some colour.
4. Once your peppers and mushrooms have been in there for a couple of minutes you will need to open your chopped tomatoes and add in the whole tin, I always add some water to the tin once I have emptied it in (fill it half-three quarters full) and wash out the tin into the frying pan as well to make sure I have all of the tomatoes and some extra water to make the sauce.
You will then need to add in your tomato puree, herbs, garlic granules, seasoning, stock cube and Bovril into the frying pan, reduce the heat to a medium heat, give it a good stir and leave it to bubble for around 20-30 minutes to let the flavours develop a bit.
5. Make sure to taste your sauce after 20-30 minutes to check the seasoning is to your taste, if you want to add any extra herbs or seasoning you can do so at this point to make it exactly how you want it.
6. Leave it bubbling away whilst you fill the kettle and boil it and measure your spaghetti into a large saucepan. Once the kettle has boiled, add the water into the large saucepan with the spaghetti and a good seasoning of salt in the water and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
7. I always check my bolognese sauce once again around 5 minutes before the spaghetti will be done, finish all the seasoning if needed and remove the sauce from the heat whilst the pasta cooks, I think it makes the sauce taste nicer when it isn’t scalding hot but just nice and warm!
8. Drain the spaghetti once it has finished cooking and serve up straight away with a few large serving spoons worth of the sauce over the top.
You can add some Parmesan cheese if you wanted as part of your Healthy Extra A for the day, or you can syn it if you have already used your Healthy Extra A’s and voila! A quick and easy meal using only 2 pans that takes from start to finish around 45 minutes-an hour to complete!
This is definitely one of my favourite dishes by far, and it is completely syn free if the cheese at the end is your Healthy Extra A, what a winner!
I hope you enjoyed this post, do let me know if you try this recipe or if you would like to see me talk you through any other recipes I love to make whilst following the Slimming World plan!